• Português
  • English

Main Façade




Caridade Church was build by the local nobility with the support of the City Council, to house the daughters of the noble from Viana do Castelo who eventually did not marry. The primitive convent of Gothic root, was the work of Gallego Pero, who lived in Caminha, where in the dawn of the sixteenth century he drove the second phase of the works in the parish church.

After some expansion works that were carried out in the early eighteenth century, it was between 1897 and 1905 that the major works were performed to recast the convent building, resulting in a grandiose architectural complex that has preserved the frontespício church in eighteenth-century "Baroque Johannine" style and reused in the Tower the magnificent Manueline coruchéu.