• Português
  • English

Igreja das Carmelitas

Main Façade

 

This church was part of an ancient convent of the Carmelitas, as easily seen from the many existing signs of the Carmelitas here. It was in 1778 that, at the request of Dr. Seixas Correa, Queen Maria granted the license to build a new House of Carmelitas Descalças, (Convento do Desterro de Jesus Maria José). The same authorization was given by the Archbishop of Braga, D. Gaspar and Fr. João de S. Joaquim.

In 1779, Father Fr. Manuel de S. João Evangelista moved from Coimbra to Viana and, after many difficulties overcome, bought land in Rua da Bandeira, lonely place, not far from Carmo Church thus speeding up the building the new Carmel.

It was under the guidance of architect Frei Luís de Santa Teresa that major works were finished in 1785.

On July 19 of that year the first community was established, even without the work being fully completed. The church of remarkable beauty and architectural taste, was blessed on December 18, 1792. Its style is a mix of Baroque and Neoclassical from the time of Queen Maria.

 

 

 

 

PortuguêsEnglish