• Português
  • English

Igreja de São Domingos

Main Façade

S.Domingos Church

 

The monastery of São Domingos, from Viana do Castelo was created in the year 1563 by Primate Archbishop D. Frei Bartolomeu  dos Mártires, who would later be the patron of Foz do Lima. It remained the most significant building of the old village for several centuries.

Built in the XVI century, it has a mannerist facade where the lovely sculptures in granite are the highlights.

The baroque altarpiece of the main chapel is one of the most representative of this style.

Located in São Domingos square, this church is integrated in the monastery with the same name.

Its entry to the square founds itself in one of the city's medieval axes at one of the streets that serves as the main centre of traditional trade.

 

PortuguêsEnglish